1/17/10

My block for Donna and a tip

I finished my block for Donna today:


I found that the toughest part for me was lining up the fabric for the next piece and then trying to flip things all around and get it in position for sewing.  I worked out a method that made it MUCH easier for me and I thought I would share.  I'm showing it for the last piece because it is just a little clearer but you can use the method all the pieces.

I've sewn the parts before this and I start by folding the paper back on itself at the next seam that I will sew and trimming the fabric to 1/4":






Then I take the next piece that I am going to add and place it, right side up, under the workpiece.  I don't unfold the paper:



Line the next piece of fabric with the newly cut edge of the workpiece.  With the paper folded back, you can see where the piece you are adding should be placed for sewing.  I am adding the white in this case, and you can see that it extends beyond the paper on all sides. Hold everything in place and unfold the paper flap, then pin your fabric in place.








Now you are ready to sew the line that was folded down.  After that, the added piece will fold up and land exactly in the right place.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow,
    It looks beautiful. I can just picture it lined up with all the others. BTW your method is called Freezer Paper piecing. There is a tutorial at Twiddletails. I am so glad you found a way that worked for you.
    Muchas Gracias,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, actually I don't sew with the flap folded over like in the freezer paper method. I just fold it down so that I can see how the next piece should be placed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing. It really helps me see where I need to place the next piece. Thanks for sharing with all of the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete